Client: Laing Murphy Joint Venture
Contract Value: £999,607,000
Project Duration: 43 weeks
Demolition of steel framed student accommodation buildings ranging from 9-11 storeys with precast concrete floors and brick facades including 7 storey prefabricated timber pod structure in a severely constrained city suburb.
Project Constraints & Challenges:
- Maintaining the structural stability of internal floor plates during removal of prefabricated pods.
- Complex demolition techniques and logistics due to the site location
- Adjacent to the live west main line railway and major highway arterial route Lawley Middleway.
- De-building structures to fourth floor followed by machine demolition to the ground
- Safe removal of fragile prefabricated pods
- Seamless liaison and approvals with Network Rail, Birmingham City Council and Highways England
- Manging the environmental impact of noise, dust and vibration in a sensitive location of residential, commercial and transport infrastructure constraints