CASE STUDY: BOLSOVER (FORMER COALITE FACTORY)
Client: Bolsover Land JV Ltd.
Stakeholders: Bolsover District Council, Derbyshire County Council, Government Enterprise Fund
Contract Value: £1.1m
Project Duration: 24 months (3nr. Phases)
The works comprised of the demolition of 13nr. buildings, 16 chemical storage tanks which were 12m in diameter together with 90,000m2 of slabs and foundation removal and ground remediation of hydrocarbons and phenolic compounds
Project Constraints & Challenges:
- Containing the release of highly odorous emissions into the atmosphere potentially hazardous to the workforce and surrounding residents.
- Working adjacent to the River Doe Lea requiring ecological mitigation
- Regarded by the Environment Agency as one of the most contaminated sites in the UK
- Innovative remediation solutions including odour screens and foamchiefs to suppress emissions.
- Autonomous monitoring via PID, passive and pumped sorbent tubes and mobile gas chromatgraph mass spectrometer
- Working collaboratively with the Environment Agency and Canal River Trust to deliver monitoring and complex technical methodology solutions
- Reclamation and reuse of 28,000m2 crushed materials